Advanced MI with Mentoring
The PHA sponsored FREE Advanced MI with Mentoring training is scheduled to begin with a two-day online workshop on Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th December 2023, and followed by four monthly one hour practice mentoring sessions between January & March 2024.
The online workshops begin each day at 10am and finish at 4.30pm. The monthly mentoring will be delivered either in-person at our office in Derry or via Zoom.
Participants will submit a recording of their use of MI in a helping conversation (this can be with a client of your service or a friend/colleague discussing a real behaviour change)
As demand for this training always outstrips the number of places available priority will be given to applicants who include a 10 minute mp3 recording of a helping conversation with their application. See below for link to upload audio file.
1.0 Course Aims
To develop practitioners knowledge and skills in the consistent and effective use of Motivational Interviewing.
2.0 Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, participants will demonstrate:
- The ability to differentiate Change Talk and Commitment Talk in helping conversations
- A practical awareness of the strategies to elicit and enhance Change and Commitment Talk
- A practical use of The Value Sort Cards
- Confidence in
– The use of the opening strategies of motivational interviewing
– The readiness Ruler
– Decisional Balance
– Change Plan Worksheet
- An increased confidence and commitment to utilising the principles and strategies of Motivational Interviewing in their work/practice setting
3.0 Course Content
Participants will be provided with the opportunities to explore and enhance:
- Their understanding and practice of the basic concepts of Motivational Interviewing & health behaviour change
- Change, Commitment & Resistance Talk
- Engaging Mandated Clients
- MI in Supervision, groups and Team Work Conversations
- Simple & Complex reflections
- Essentials of Affirming
- The Use of Motivational Assessment, Intervention and Planning Tools
- Values, Discrepancies and Change
Anyone can apply, although priority will be given to individuals based in Northern Ireland using the following descending priorities:-
- Have completed Motivational Interviewing Level 1 training with a MINT trainer in past two years
- Employed by agencies funded by the PHA to provide alcohol/drug interventions
- Employed by any agency providing only alcohol/drug interventions
- Employed by an agency that provides support to individual’s or families affected by alcohol/drugs as part of their service agreement
- Any other service provider
NB – This course requires a commitment to attend the two-day online workshops, the completion of three audio recordings and attendance of ALL mentoring sessions.
It is essential that you discuss your application with your line manger and have their approval to participate in Advanced Motivational Interviewing training and mentoring prior to making this application.
Applications for Advanced MI will close at 4.30pm on Wednesday 6th December 2023
We are available to discuss any aspect of the training or answer any questions you may have on 0776 376 4486 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may wish to access our Motivational Interviewing podcast HERE